Wednesday, May 6, 2020

OY Rotary Trip - 9, The tenth day

Hi, We spent our last night on the road in Kingman, AZ and then headed immediately into the canyon west of town. For me it was very illuminating. I learned there are places that were easy for me to get to (and I was never agile) in my 50s and 60s that are now out of the question. However, there are dozens of angles to shoot in this area so no one needs to go home without some pictures they will be pleased with.

While in the canyon we caught a westbound and

two eastbound trains (above and two below).



Dave is king of the mountain.

From I-40 a bridge can be seen west of the highway and I have photographed it with a couple of Santa Fe trains from the interstate's shoulder. I had always wondered if there was a way to get closer so while we were in Kingman I brought up Google Maps and found the way in. The photos above and four below were taken in the area closer to where the railroad bridges Sacramento Wash. The first four photos below are of eastbound trains while the fifth one is of a westbound.




Continuing west we got a grab shot of a westbound at Topack, AZ

and then stopped at Park Moabi, east of Needles, CA for an eastbound (above and below).


West of Needles we stopped at Arrowhead Jcn, AZ and got this westbound.

As we had heard Historic Route 66 was closed to through traffic we got on I-40 to Ludlow where we caught a westbound manifest train coming through town.

Then we headed east of Ludlow to find a grade crossing I had learned about from a video. While there we photographed an eastbound Herzog ballast train,

a westbound stack train (above and below) and


an eastbound stack train.

Our final shot of the trip was at Dagget. The track coming in from the left is Union Pacific's former Los Angeles & Salt Lake.

Thanks for looking.

No comments: