Saturday, January 23, 2021

Two railfan days

Hi, My final two railfan days for 2020 were short so I thought I would combine them into one post.

On November 20th I decided to head up to Baltimore and take another look at the Canton Railroad. While there I ran into friends Jim Kleeman and Bill Kalkman, and three other railfans. Once again I set my sights on their new 1906.

Shortly after I arrived at the Boston Street crossing the 1906 came into view and began to switch the Petroleum Fuel and Terminal.

The crew's next job was to pick up a car outside the Lehigh Company facility on South Clinton Street (above and below).


I found the crew a third time switching their yard (above and below). The Canton's offices and shop is on the right in the photo below.


On December 15 a joined friend Jim Kleeman to railfan the Maryland Midland. We expected them to operate a stone train with the power running light from Union Bridge, MD to a quarry in Woodsboro, MD where they would pickup loaded stone cars for Congoleum Corp. in Finksburg. In Finksburg they would exchange loads for empties which would be taken back to the quarry before the crew returned light engine to Union Bridge, MD.

However, that is not what happened. Instead UBEG (Union Bridge - Emory Grove turn) operated. Our first location was east of New Windsor, MD off a farm road (above and two below).

The second GP38 (in G&W colors) was placed so that it could spot the flat cars at a lumber dealer about 1\4 mile further east at a facing point siding.


We next saw the train at Avalon, MD (above and below).
 
With a light train the crew really moved beating us to Emory Grove. We picked up lunch and returned to Westminster, MD to await the westbound move. Unbeknownst to us the crew left Emory Grove light engine about the time we did and again beat us to Westminster. When we found out we returned to Union Bridge, where we met and I had left my car, and headed for home.

Thanks for looking.

No comments: