Friday, October 21, 2016

A Day in Pittsburgh, 10-14-20164

Hi, My wife Ruthe and I went to Pittsburgh for her 50th College reunion from 10/13 to 10/15. Friday was a free day for me so I decided to spend it exploring some old railroad haunts.

After checking out NS passing through Allegheny Commons Park West I moved on to a location where I shot Conrail almost 20 years ago; the Ohio Connecting Bridge from the north bank of the Ohio River. Unfortunately the four trains I saw here in a two hour period were headed for the south bank and I only managed a photo of one, an empty coal train.

After lunch I decided to explore Neville Island, a highly industrialized piece of land in the middle of the Ohio River.  When I first went there almost 40 years ago there was great access and a number of industrial railroads to shoot.  Today there is very little access, however, I did find a Pittsburgh and Ohio Central SW1500 (above and below) and


a CSX GP40-3.

I moved on to Sewickley where, after a short wait, I photographed a coke train passing the old station. At one time there were island platforms here.

My final stop was Leetsdale where there are still two traditional signal Bridges. Everything else has changed. The two grade crossings that were here are now closed and a highway over pass has been built. I hoped for an eastbound train but got two westbounds (above and below).

Thanks for looking.

No comments: